In the wake of Monday's tragedy when a family of four was mowed down by a driver enraged over being cut off in traffic on Route 59 in Monsey, officials ranging from state to local planned to meet Thursday to discuss safety improvements to the roadway.
Organized by interim Supervisor Yitzchok Ullman, the discussion will center on speeding up pedestrian and sidewalk improvements, town officials said.
Members participating in the meeting included Town Board members, Ramapo police, State DOT officials, representatives from Gov. Cuomo's office, and local state representatives.
In a letter earlier this week, State Sen. David Carlucci asked DOT to expedite the proposed improvements that are not scheduled to take place until next summer.
Those improvements included:
- The addition of 3,000 feet of sidewalks.
- Improvements to damaged, broken sidewalks.
- The inclusion of curb cuts for strollers and wheelchairs.
- Synchronization of 42 streetlights from Suffern to Nyack.
"With thoughtful consideration given to this recent accident, I respectfully request that the Department of Transportation prioritize and expedite this project with the intent on preventing any further accidents involving motorists and pedestrians," Carlucci wrote.
At the same time of the meeting, Ramapo police will continue conducting a Pedestrian Safety Campaign to help reduce traffic accidents involving pedestrians.
Police officials said they wrote several summonses to both drivers and pedestrians during enforcement on Wednesday. The program will continue throughout the next several weeks.
In addition, Improve59, a grassroots organization devoted to improving Route 59, is hosting an informational booth at Town Square Mall from noon to 5 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.