RAMAPO, N.Y. -- Ramapo police extinguished a fire at a residence in the Village of Sloatsburg on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
Officers responded to the report of the blaze around 12:21 p.m., according to police.
An officer on the scene saw a couch on the front porch engulfed in flames, police said.
The officer ensured the home was evacuated, and proceeded to put out the fire, according to police.
The officer’s actions limited the damage to the furniture and facade of the household, police said.
The Sloatsburg Fire Department also responded to the scene, and removed the smoldering couch from the porch, according to police.
The couch and porch were then wet down to prevent any flare-ups, police said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.