RAMAPO, N.Y. -- Ramapo police were able to revive the victim of an apparent overdose last week by using the lifesaving medication Narcan.
Police were called to a residence in the village of Chestnut Ridge Friday to aid someone who had had collapsed.
When they got there, they found a man who was not breathing but who had a pulse.
They determined that he was not having a heart attack but had overdosed on heroin.
After officers administered Narcan and gave the man oxygen, he began breathing on his own.
Police are reminding the public to call 911 immediately if they suspect someone has overdosed on an opioid such as heroin.
The faster they act, police said, the greater the chance the person’s life can be saved.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.