ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- A woman burning bread for a religious ritual sparked a house fire in Monsey that severely damaged the home, police said.
The fire, at 92 Blauvelt Road, started around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, when the woman burning old bead on the back porch, saw the fire had caught some dry leaves on fire which in turn moved to the porch, causing extensive damage to the home, said Det. Sgt. Brian Corbett.
The woman, along with another family who lives in a basement apartment, were all able to escape unharmed, Corbett said.
Firefighters from Monsey, Tallman, Hillcrest, Spring Valley, South Spring Valley and Hillburn responded to the fire as did first responders from the Ramapo Valley Ambulance Corps, Rockland Paramedics and Hatzolah ambulance, Corbett said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.