SPRING VALLEY, N.Y. -- A Spring Valley landlord has been fined $8,000 for violations at the home after a tenant collapsed from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to lohud.com.
Mattis Fried of The Rashby Trust, was fined by the Rockland Board of Health on Wednesday for four violations at 10 Jay St.
Each of the violations carry $2,000 fines for problems that included the lack of a functional carbon monoxide detector, said lohud.com.
The fines were made possible by the Rockland Codes Initiative, started in 2015 by County Executive Ed Day and his administration, which uses the sanitary laws to enforce hazardous building conditions,
Since the initiative began, $453,166 in fines has been handed out, compared to $53,637 during the same time period the year before, added lohud.com.
If Fried doesn't pay the fines, a lien can be placed on the property. County officials noted that many of the violations had already been fixed, said lohud.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.