POMONA, N.Y. – Rockland commuters, brace yourselves; things are going to get a wee bit complicated around the Thanksgiving holidays.
Transit schedules were released this week by the county's Department of Public Transportation and County Executive Ed Day.
First, the highlights:
Thursday, Nov. 24: Transport of Rockland (TOR) buses will operate on Sunday schedules; TRIPS paratransit buses will operate A.D.A. service only and TAPPAN ZEExpress (TZx) buses will not operate at all on Turkey Day.
Friday, Nov. 25: TOR and TZx will operate regular service and TRIPS will operate A.D.A. service only.
And that was the easy stuff.
Wednesday, Nov. 23:
• TOR, TZx, TRIPS, Spring Valley Jitney and Clarkstown Mini-Trans buses will operate regular weekday service.
• Metro-North Hudson Line trains will operate early getaway service, with several trains cancelled or combined. Go to www.mta.info for the Metro-North Special Thanksgiving Weekend schedule.
• NJ Transit trains on the Pascack Valley Line will operate an early getaway train from Penn Station at 2:51 p.m. and Hoboken at 2:58 p.m. To accommodate this train, the 7:08 p.m. departure from Penn Station and the 7:20 p.m. departure from Hoboken will not operate. An additional late night train to Rockland will depart Penn Station at 12:34 a.m. and Hoboken at 12:45 a.m.
• NJT Main/Bergen Line train that normally departs Penn Station at 5:43 p.m. will depart earlier at 5:34 p.m. The train that normally departs Penn Station at 6:03 p.m. and Hoboken at 6:15 p.m. will not operate.
• Coach USA Rockland Coaches will offer earlier Rockland-bound express buses from Port Authority bus terminal. Express route #45 will begin service at 1:30 p.m., route #47 at 2:15 p.m. and route #49 at 2 p.m.
• Coach USA Express buses from the Exit 14 Park & Ride lot will operate a modified schedule in the morning and in the afternoon. Early getaway buses from Manhattan will be added at 2:00, 2:30 and 3:00 p.m. from 56th St. & 5th Ave. and at 2:30 p.m. from Wall Street. For more details, call (800) 631-8405 or go to www.shortlinebus.com .
• The Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry will operate an early getaway ferry from Ossining at 4:01 p.m., connecting with Hudson Line trains departing Grand Central Terminal at 2:51 p.m. and 3:11 p.m. A ferry will also connect with the train departing Grand Central at 6 p.m., arriving at Ossining at 6:53 p.m. Ferries that normally depart at 6:49 p.m. and 7:20 p.m. will not operate.
Thursday, Nov. 24, Thanksgiving Day:
- TOR buses will operate Sunday schedules: No service on TOR #94, #95 and #97; no TOR #91 service in New City, Yeager Health Center or Helen Hayes Hospital.
- TZx buses, Coach USA Express from Exit 14 Park & Ride, Clarkstown Mini-Trans, Spring Valley Jitney and the Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry will not operate.
- TRIPS paratransit buses will operate A.D.A. service only.
- Coach USA’s Rockland Coaches buses and Coach USA’s Shortline buses will operate Sunday schedules.
- Monsey Trails buses will operate reduced schedules. For more information, call (845)-510-5100, or go to www.monseybus.com .
- Metro-North Hudson Line trains will operate a Sunday schedule, plus special service to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Go to www.mta.info for details.
- NJ Transit trains will operate weekend schedules on all lines.
- For those heading to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Port Jervis Line will offer a 7:39 a.m. departure from Sloatsburg (7:46 a.m. from Suffern) arriving in Hoboken at 8:30 a.m. (A connection at Secaucus Junction arrives at Penn Station-NY at 8:39 a.m.) To get home, there's a 12:21 p.m. departure from Hoboken (12:14 p.m. from Penn Station-NY) that operates express to Suffern, then makes all stops to Port Jervis, serving Suffern at 1:02 p.m. and Sloatsburg at 1:09 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 25:
- TOR and TZx will operate regular weekday schedules. TRIPS paratransit buses will operate A.D.A. service only.
- Clarkstown Mini-Trans will operate regular weekday schedules.
- Spring Valley Jitney buses will not operate.
- Rockland Coaches will operate a regular Saturday schedule on local routes with modified express service on routes 45 and 47. Go to www.coachusa.com/rockland or call (201)-263-1254 Ext. 7414 for details.
- Coach USA Express bus service from the Exit 14 Park & Ride lot will operate modified service in the morning and evening. Go to www.shortlinebus.com or call (800)-631-8405 for details.
- Metro-North Hudson Line trains will operate a special schedule, using a Saturday schedule as a base, plus extra trains. TZx bus connections at Tarrytown station may take a few minutes longer than normal. Call 511 or go to www.mta.info for train schedules.
- NJ Transit trains will operate a regular weekday schedule.
- The Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry will operate a special schedule to coordinate with a modified Metro-North Hudson Line train schedule. Go to www.mta.info or call 511 for more information.
Go to www.rocklandbus.com for TOR and TZx schedules, links to other transit systems or to sign up for Transit Alerts.
For trip-planning assistance, call the Transit Information Center at (845)- 364-3333, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. The center will be closed on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.