SPRING VALLEY, N.Y. – A man was issued several summonses after a minor fire at a single-family home on Division Avenue allowed Spring Valley officials to discover that “multiple nuclear families” were living inside the house, which was plagued by a host of code violations, according to lohud.com.
Firefighters responded to the home Aug. 5 after a resident attempted to put out a grease fire with a garden hose, according to lohud.com, which reported that fire officials called the police when they grew concerned about overly crowded conditions.
Officials said at least seven adults were living in the house with five to seven children of various ages, according to lohud.com, which reported that several other people believed to be living at the house were likely at work during the daytime blaze.
The house was built in 1912 and was said to be just over 1,500 square feet with four bedrooms and one bathroom, according to lohud.com.
Charged in connection with the alleged code violations was homeowner Antonio Polanko, according to lohud.com, which reported that the residents at the home were living without smoke or carbon monoxide detectors; without gas, power and water; and were unable to open the windows.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.